Monday, July 30, 2012

Tyson's Story


From as far back as I can remember, our family spent many Fall Saturdays at Husky Stadium. We would spread-out our purple blankets on the bleachers and enjoy an afternoon of UW football. You could always count on my Grandparents to bring a large thermos full of coffee, and Auntie Ag and Uncle Bob would always have the best donuts. I wasn't as interested in coffee as I am now, so from the time I was a youngster, Auntie Ag was always held in high regard by my sister and I. She always had a smile for us kids.

In later years, whenever I got a chance to visit Auntie Ag she'd always have a ball game on, or be checking the sports pages and keeping up with the box scores. She was always sharp and rarely had an ill word about anyone. A home team win would make her happy, and a loss would have her looking forward to the next game. You could count on her to be positive and optimistic, and find the silver lining in anything.

It was an honor for me later in life to be able to be the one to take Auntie Ag and my Grandfather to what would be their last Husky Games in person. It meant a lot to be able to repay the kindness they had shown me in my early years, in what would be their twilight years. I hope it was as meaningful for her as it was for me. Her smile, caring nature, and kind words will be missed.


1 comment: